Technical Committee Nomination Requirements
Instructions for Nomination
- Submit one nomination form for each nominee. Nominees who are not selected for committee membership the first year will automatically be considered for membership the following year. As the nomination forms are held for a total of two years, it is not necessary to resubmit a form for someone not selected the first year. You may send updated information to be attached to an existing nomination form.
- You do not have to be nominated by someone else; you may submit an application for yourself.
- A resume or biographical data should be submitted with the nomination form.
- Membership is usually restricted to one technical committee (TC) at a time. If you nominate someone to more than one committee, use one form. All information should be detailed and complete. Please list each TC for which you wish to be considered. This form will be duplicated at AIAA and sent to each TC indicated. In the event of selection by more than one TC chair, the nominee will be contacted to select one committee for membership.
- The Technical Activities Committee (TAC) strongly suggests that special consideration be given to members 34 years of age and under. See Technical Committee Associate Membership Guidelines.
- All TC members must join AIAA (if they are not already members) within 45 days of their appointment to a technical committee.
- TC membership is generally for one year with two additional years possible, but contingent upon committee participation, ongoing projects, and AIAA membership. It is not necessary to send a new nomination form for someone who is already on a committee. All committee members are automatically considered for a second and third year of membership.
- Deadline for receipt of nominations is 1 November. Nominations received after this date will be held for consideration until the next year.
Associate Member Requirements
The purpose of instituting an associate membership category for technical committees (TCs) is to encourage nomination of young professionals for TC membership.
- Associate membership does not count toward the 35 regular membership on a TC.
- Associate membership is restricted to those who are 34 or younger.
- Associate membership is restricted to current AIAA members.
- Associate membership is a one year term renewable to three years.
- Selection to associate membership is based on technical merit. The associate members should show promise within the field of the technical committee.
- Associate members should plan to attend TC or subcommittee meetings and assist with carrying out committee work.
- Associate members may be assigned a counselor from within the TC who will serve to advise and guide the associate member on TC procedures and activities.
- Associate members will have no voting privileges on the TC. They may (with consent) act as a substitute for their counselor.
- Application forms for associate membership are the same as those of full membership. Resumes should be attached.
- It is recommended that each TC have at least 2 associate members.
- The Endorsement section on the nomination form must be completed by the nominee’s supervisor showing his/her support of the time and travel required of the nominee if selected for membership on the committee.