Congressional Visits Day
Raise the Image of Aerospace in Washington
Every year, AIAA members – engineers, scientists, researchers, students, educators, and technology executives – come to Washington, DC, to take part in AIAA’s Congressional Visits Day program (CVD). They meet with national decision makers to discuss critical industry issues in civil aeronautics, civil astronautics, and defense.
What’s our goal? Through face-to-face meetings with Members of Congress, congressional staff, key administration officials, and other decision makers, Congressional Visits Day raises awareness of the long-term value that science, engineering, and technology bring to America.
Make sure that you don’t miss out on this vital opportunity to have your Congressional representative hear your voice!
Registration for CVD 2015 Now Open
All events this year will take place on Capitol Hill, opening with a kick-off breakfast proceeding through your meetings with Congressional decision makers, followed by a reception for all participants.
As in previous years, attendance at CVD is more important than ever. Only your participation, enthusiasm, and passion remind our lawmakers that aerospace is a key component of an economically strong and secure nation. If you are interested in the future of your profession, the advancement of technology, the furthering of scientific research, and the strengthening of our nation’s security, this event is for you!
If you have any questions about CVD, or are looking for materials for this year’s event, please contact Steve Sikorek at 703.264.7625 or email@example.com
Make a difference for Aerospace! Attend CVD 2015!
Guidance for CVD Participants
AIAA is committed to appropriately informing and educating Congress and the Administration on the importance to this Nation of the aerospace engineering profession and its role in this vital sector. It is critical that in performing this valuable and sought after service, that the information presented is compatible with the diverse interests of our membership and consistent with Institute policy.
To assure that these objectives are met, the following guidelines will be published in conjunction with all activities during the week of CVD. Members registering for CVD will be required to indicate that they have read the guidelines and will abide by them.
- All meetings during CVD must focus on the Board-approved key issues. Other materials that relate to the key issues may be used as anecdotal or supporting information but must meet the guidelines below.
- Local constituent/state team appointments will take precedent during CVD. All appointments must be coordinated with state team captains or PPC staff.
- Technical Committees (TCs) and/or Program Committees (PCs) are encouraged to participate in state team meetings during CVD and to schedule meetings on topics not covered by the key issues on the days following CVD (Thursday or Friday). These meetings must be coordinated with PPC staff. All materials must adhere to the requirement below.
- All materials (with the exception of the Board-approved Key Issues) presented to Congress or the Administration on behalf of AIAA during the week of CVD must be approved in advance by the Technical Activities Committee (TAC) and the Public Policy Committee (PPC). These materials must be submitted to PPC staff no later than 14 February.
Failure to abide by these guidelines may be viewed as a violation of the AIAA Code of Ethics, A Guideline for Professional Conduct and/or the AIAA Volunteer Leadership Code of Ethics in which the Institute’s best interests are defined by the Board of Directors and, as delegated, the TAC and the PPC. These violations may be referred to the Ethical Conduct Panel as appropriate depending on the severity and the potential impact of the incident.
AIAA CVD Key Issues Teleconferences
If you are attending this year's CVD program, or you want to learn more about AIAA's key issues for Congress, AIAA is pleased to offer you a series of webinars which will bring you up to speed on all the issues. Training sessions will begin in late January and will run through early March. Registrants will be contacted directly about the training schedule.
2015 AIAA Congressional Visits Day Member Participation Program
As in past years, AIAA will once again offer limited subsidies to assist members in their efforts to attend this year’s Congressional Visits Day (CVD) program. Members applying for subsidies must keep the following in mind:
- All applications for travel subsidies must be made to AIAA no later than 31 January 2015. No applications will be considered after that deadline!
- All applications for travel subsidies will be subject to review by the Executive Committee of the AIAA Public Policy Committee. The Executive Committee will be the sole determiner of the disbursement of funds.
- Successful applicants will be notified of their grant by the Executive Committee no later than 13 February 2015.
For members not granted travel subsidies, please remember that you can ask your local section for assistance under the Section’s “Category 3” funds. It also may be possible to pool funds amongst sections in the same region. Please note, however, that these funds will, most likely, prioritize first time CVD attendees from sections that have had little history of CVD participation in the past, and individuals who have demonstrated a past interest in public policy activities.
For questions about the CVD Member Participation Program, please contact Steve Sidorek at 703.264.7625 or firstname.lastname@example.org.