This policy applies to all attendees, including members, students, guests, staff, contractors, session chairs, organizers, exhibitors and speakers, participating in local and national AIAA activities, AIAA Forums, programs, meetings, services, workshops, symposia, tours, social events, online interactions or any other AIAA sponsored activity (“AIAA Activity”) or a related social gathering. This policy supplements the AIAA member Code of Ethics and the staff Professional Conduct policy issued by AIAA; it does not replace or supersede those policies.
Discrimination and Harassment Prohibited
Discrimination and harassment on the basis of an individual’s sex, gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected characteristic at any AIAA Activity or a related social gathering will not be tolerated.
Harassment includes unwelcome visual, verbal, or physical conduct, including but not limited to:
- Verbal: Comments, jokes or epithets that are offensive by reason of, or that make derogatory references concerning any protected characteristic; repeated sexual innuendoes, sexual epithets, derogatory slurs, sexual jokes, propositions, threats, or suggestive or insulting sounds or foul or obscene language; questions about another’s sex life or experiences, requests for sexual favors, or repeated unwelcome requests for dates;
- Visual/Non-Verbal/Recorded: E-mail, voice-mail messages, or any electronic communications that are offensive by reason of, or that make derogatory references concerning any protected characteristic; suggestive objects or pictures; graphic commentaries; obscene e-mails, text messages, or instant messages; leering; or obscene gestures;
- Physical: Unwarranted physical contact including touching, grabbing, groping, or fondling; interference with an individual’s normal movement; or assault; and
- Other: Making or threatening reprisals as a result of a negative response to harassment; or participating in functions connected in any way with an AIAA Activity that are offensive to others on the basis of any protected characteristic.
Any attendee who is asked to stop behaviors in violation of this policy is expected to comply immediately.
If you experience or witness conduct in violation of this policy at an AIAA Activity or a related social gathering, report it immediately to the AIAA event/activity manager or AIAA’s Chief Human Resources Officer at email@example.com or 703.264.7567. AIAA may also contact or facilitate contact with hotel/venue security, local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the AIAA activity, as appropriate based on the specific circumstances.
All complaints will be quickly and discreetly investigated. However, in order to conduct a thorough investigation, it is often not possible to maintain complete confidentiality.
AIAA will take appropriate remedial action based on the findings of its investigation.
Individuals engaging in behavior prohibited by this policy will be subject to the following consequences, as AIAA deems appropriate, including:
- Removal from any AIAA activity without warning or refund;
- Prohibiting participation in future AIAA activities and publications;
- Removal from current and/or future AIAA leadership positions or committees;
- Reporting of incident(s) to individual’s employer;
- Suspension or termination of membership in AIAA
The Institute’s Board of Trustees is granted the right in its Bylawsto terminate the membership of any member.
AIAA prohibits any form of retaliation against any individual who makes a complaint under this policy or participates in an investigation into a complaint. Complaints of retaliation should be made using the same reporting procedures described above.
For all other matters regarding unprofessional conduct, please reference the AIAA Code of Ethics.