Essential Model-Based Systems Engineering - Online Short Course (May 8 & 15, 2023) 8 May - 15 May 2023 Online
Instructed by Teaching Science and Technology Inc. (TSTI)
- May 8 and 15, 2023 (2 4-Hour Days, 8 Hours Total)
- Mondays, 1200-1600 Eastern Time (0900-1300 Pacific Time)
- This course is ideal for technical or non-technical professionals preparing to undertake digital transformation in their organizations.
- All students will receive an AIAA Certificate of Completion at the end of the course
What is Model-based Systems Engineering (MBSE)? How will it improve my project products and processes? Why is it worth the investment? These and other key questions are explored in the 1-day Essential MBSE course. The course is tailored for project managers, engineering team members, and systems engineers preparing to undertake digital transformation in their organizations. Participants will leave with the knowledge and background to more critically evaluate MBSE implementation in their organizations and with the foundation to pursue more advanced MBSE training if needed.
- Define Model-based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
- Explain the MBSE value proposition across the project lifecycle.
- Recognize and explain the use of SysML as well as commonly used systems engineering diagrams and artifacts.
- Describe the purpose of ontologies, modeling languages and architectural frameworks and give examples.
- Identify various use cases for MBSE artifacts
- Use MBSE artifacts to evaluate Project Maturity and Issues
- Explain how models can be re-used, integrated and extended.
- Discuss MBSE adoption challenges within organizations
- Embark on more advanced, hands-on MBSE training
Who Should Attend: Project Managers, Systems engineers, payload principle investigators, subsystem engineers or project managers who are participating in or responsible for digital transformation in their organization.
“Taking what I have learned to my customer.”
“The importance of learning about MBSE and being aware of how to use it.”
“Instructor's teaching style and command of the material were excellent. Much of this is dry stuff but the instructor did a terrific job making it interesting and relevant. It's obvious he knows his stuff.”
“I received a basic understanding of what MBSE is and how it could be useful on the programs I currently support, as well as future program.”Course Fees (Sign-In To Register)
- AIAA Member Price: $595 USD
- Non-Member Price: $795 USD
- AIAA Student Member Price: $395 USD
Contact: Please contact Lisa Le or Customer Service if you have any questions about the course or group discounts.
Course Series: In Spring 2023, AIAA and TSTI are offering a series of courses focused on Space Systems Engineering. While courses are completely self-contained and can be taken on their own, those students wishing to deepen their knowledge may be interested in additional course study:
- MBSE: Why Bother?
- Course Introduction
- What is Systems Engineering?
- What is Model-based Systems Engineering?
- What is the Value/ROI for MBSE?
- What are Ontologies, Languages, Frameworks?
- What is an Ontology?
- What are Modeling Languages, Diagrams?
- What is an Architectural Framework?
- So I have a Model, Now What?
- What can models tell me about…
- System Management?
- System Realization?
- I’m Sold! What’s Next?
- How Do I Build My Own Model?
- What are IT Challenges?
- What is Model Curation?
- How Can My Organization Transition to MBSE?
The course lectures will be delivered via a Zoom virtual classroom. Connection information will be provided to registrants near to the course start date.
Each registrant will receive:
- A complete set of course notes with copies of all slides used in the presentations
- TSTI Alumni status allowing on-line access to course materials, including tools and videos through the Alumni Lounge
- Email Support for Questions: Between classes, the instructor will be available via email for technical questions and comments.
Dr. Jerry Jon Sellers, is the author of Understanding Space: An Introduction to Astronautics, and is a contributing author and editor of Applied Space Systems Engineering, author of the new chapter in ASSE on Applied Model-based Systems Engineering, as well as a contributing author of Human Spaceflight Analysis and Design. He has over 30 years of space systems experience including Guidance & On-board Navigation Officer in Space Shuttle Mission Control; Assistant Professor of Astronautics at the U.S. Air Force Academy; and Chief of Astronautics for the Air Force European Office of Aerospace Research & Development. He is an Associate Fellow at AIAA and the former Chairman of the AIAA Space Systems Technical Committee. He is an elected member of the International Academy of Astronautics and is a Certified Scaled-Agile Program Consultant. He is also an adjunct professor at Stevens Institute of Technology and certified Scaled-Agile Framework (SAFe) Program Consultant (SPC5). Jerry is an elected member of the International Academy of Astronautics.
AIAA Training Links
Upcoming Public Courses and Workshops
For information, group discounts,
and private course pricing, contact:
Lisa Le, Education Specialist (email@example.com)