Overview of Python for Engineering Programming – Online Short Course (Starts Oct 4, 2022) 4 October - 20 October 2022 Online
Instructed by Dr. John Peng Ho, Boeing Designated Expert on engineering software development
✓ From October 4 – 20, 2022 (3 weeks, 6 Classes, 4 hours each)
✓ Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1200-1600 Eastern Time (900-1300 Pacific Time)
✓ All sessions will be recorded and available for replay; course notes will be available for download.
✓ Taught for many years exclusively for Boeing employees
✓ All students will receive an AIAA Certificate of Completion at the end of the course
“Learning programming languages is overrated. Learning programming is underrated.”
Proficient programming takes more than familiarity with the syntax of any programming language. One needs awareness of existing standard and third-party libraries to avoid re-implementing the “wheel.” Another vital skill is the art of posing problems in ways to exploit the features and capabilities of the language. This last aspect of programming is rarely covered in courses or books.
In this popular course, taught for years at Boeing by the instructor, the Python programming language and its rich ecosystem is introduced. It will focus on engineering applications with practice examples on implementing elegant and efficient algorithms.
Students will be required to use a computer for the class with Anaconda Python Distribution (www.anaconda.com) loaded onto it.
- Understand essential concepts to use Python effectively
- Understand the NumPy add-on library and its practical applications to numerical computations
- Introductions to libraries valuable for aerospace engineering applications
- Accessing documentation
- Software quality assurance and documentation generation
- (See Detailed outline below)
Who Should Attend: This course is intended for any engineers, scientist, researcher, or manager with programming needs and/or interests.
- Non-Member Price: $1045 USD
- AIAA Member Price: $845 USD
- AIAA Student Member Price: $495 USD
CLASSROOM HOURS/ CEUs: 24 classroom hours / 2.4 CEU/PDH
Contact: Please contact Lisa Le or Customer Service if you have questions about the course or group discounts (for 5+ participants).
- Python native data types
- Python syntax
- Packages and Modules
- Name spaces
- Examples and applications
NumPy and matplotlib Libraries
- NumbPy add-on
- Examples and applications
Survey of other libraries useful for aerospace engineering applications such as:
- The Jupyter Notebook environment.
- The matplotlib plotting package.
- The standard libraries, in particular Regular expression.
- The scientific/engineering routines in SciPy.
- The Pandas data analytics package.
- Integration with other languages.
Course Delivery and Materials
- Students will be required to use a computer for the class with Anaconda Python Distribution (www.anaconda.com) loaded onto it.
- Anaconda Distribution is free for instructional use. https://www.anaconda.com/products/distribution
- Software installation instructions, course material, and access to the Zoom classroom will be provided to registrants.
- Course Lectures
- The course lectures will be delivered via Zoom. You can test your connection here: https://zoom.us/test
- All sessions will be available on-demand within 1-2 days of the lecture. Once available, you can stream the replay video anytime, 24/7. All slides will be available for download after each lecture.
- Course Material
- Course material is entirely digital and will be provided by the instructor. The material is Boeing copyrighted.
- Copyright: No part of these materials may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted, unless for course participants. All rights reserved.
- Questions: Between lectures, the instructors will be available via email for technical questions and comments.