Hypersonics: Test and Evaluation – Online Short Course (Started March 18, 2021) 18 March - 8 April 2021 Online
In This Section
- From 18 March 2021 – 8 April 2021 (4 Weeks, 4 Lectures, 8 Hours)
- Every Thursday at 1300-1500 Eastern Time (all sessions will be recorded and available for replay; course notes will be available for download)
- All students will receive an AIAA Certificate of Completion at the end of the course
- Instructed by Mr. Daniel Marren, recently retired Director of the White Oak Site of AEDC Test Division at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex
- It's not too late! You can still register and catch up on all past lectures on-demand!
This unique Hypersonics Test and Evaluation short course is an 8-hour offering that is meant to introduce students to high speed and hypersonic test. The course will introduce the concept of hypersonic flight and describe the critical physics that is encountered at this unique and formidable speed regime. It will briefly discuss the system benefits and uses for this flight regime and put in perspective, why system performance and evaluation through test for this important speed regime can create difficulties for the tester, test facility developer and project manager. Principals of test design for this unique flight regime will be discussed as well as descriptions and examples of the typical test capability types along with examples of each in the current ground test infrastructure.
- Be able to describe the fundamentals of hypersonic flight.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the various benefits of speed.
- Understand the history of hypersonic test.
- Differentiate between the disciplines and test capabilities used to evaluate high speed systems.
- Gain a better understanding of the salient physics challenges for providing a relevant environment.
- Know the Benefits and Shortfalls of test and test techniques to choose evaluation method wisely.
- Recognize and plan for evaluation of important concepts through test
- [Detailed outline below]
- Lecture 1
- Hypersonic 101
- History of Hypersonic Systems
- Hypersonic Activity World-Wide
- Hypersonic Systems and Benefits
- Past Hypersonic Programs and their Contributions
- Lecture 2
- Challenges of Hypersonic Flight
- Reproducing the Hypersonic Environment
- Hypersonic Test and Evaluation
- T&E Compared to S&T
- Linking Analysis to Test
- Flight Experimentation Compared to Ground Test
- Lecture 3
- Types of Hypersonic Test
- Listing of Hypersonic Facilities and specifications
- Examples of Evaluation Techniques
- Measurements and Diagnostics
- Benefits of Ground Test facilities
- Challenges or Shortfalls to Ground Test Facilities
- Lecture 4
- Putting It Into Practice: Real Life Examples
- Lessons Learned from 50+ Years of Hypersonics
- US Hypersonic Emphasis
- Test Enterprise – S&T to T&E for the Future
- Summary and Look to the Future
- The course lectures will be delivered via Zoom. You can test your connection here: https://zoom.us/test
- Access to the Zoom classroom will be provided to registrants near to the course start date.
- All sessions will be available on-demand within 1-2 days of the lecture. Once available, you can stream the replay video anytime, 24/7. All slides will be available for download after each lecture.
- No part of these materials may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted, unless for course participants. All rights reserved.
- Between lectures during the course, the instructor will be available via email (Dan@MarrenAssociatesLLC.com) for technical questions and comments.