OpenFOAM® CFD External Aerodynamics – Online Short Course (May 24-25, 2022) 24 May - 25 May 2022 Online
In This Section
This course introduces some advanced topics of the open source CFD toolbox, OpenFOAM. It concentrates on the topics important for external aerodynamics computations. Among others especially advanced meshing techniques for a quality near-wall prismatic mesh layers, turbulence modelling and wall functions, DES and LES modelling, drag and lift prediction and post-processing, near-wall post-processing, blended discretization and other numerical stabilization.
An experienced trainer from OpenCFD – the company delivering official distribution of OpenFOAM every 6 months - will be presenting practical training based on the latest release. Training is based on mixture of lectures and hands-on exploring simple applications run on a cloud computer. More information can be found at https://openfoam.com/training/aerospace.php
- Learn advanced meshing techniques to build near-wall inflation layers
- Best practice for 3D mesh – full aircraft and wing with aileron
- Learn best practices for robust simulations
- Advanced turbulence modelling techniques (LES, DES, DDES)
- New adjoint-shape optimization capabilities will be presented
- Familiarize yourself with the advanced post-processing for force coefficients
Who Should Attend
The External aerodynamics course is suitable for existing users of OpenFOAM seeking to broaden their knowledge of OpenFOAM, particularly in best practices for the external flow and its characteristics like drag and lift on the body. The Course is designed to impart important background knowledge to be able to use OpenFOAM effectively. The aim of the training is not only to show how to use OpenFOAM but as well to explain how it works to help users understand the choices they make on meshing, numerics and boundary condition setup.
Course Registration Fees - Take advantage of the discounted pricing for this course through AIAA!
- Non-Member Price: $1045 USD
- AIAA Member Price: $845 USD
- AIAA Student Member Price: $495 USD
Classroom hours / CEUs: 16 classroom hours / 1.6 CEUs/PDHs
Cancellation Policy A refund less a $100.00 cancellation fee will be assessed for all cancellations made in writing prior to14 days before the start of the event. After that time, no refunds will be provided.
Please contact Lisa Le if you have questions about the course or group discounts (for 5+ participants).
- Geometry and meshing
- Comprehensive study of snappyHexMesh on an aircraft geometry
- Mesh structure, best practice for mesh sizes and distributions
- Best practices in building inflation (prismatic) layers for near-wall flow modelling
- Meshing in parallel
- Case setup
- Turbulence models: RANS, LES, DES, DDES
- Field initialization and boundary conditions
- Blended discretization and other stabilization techniques for robust simulation
- Best practice for selecting models and setting parameters
- Set up on-the-fly post-processing to calculate drag and lift coefficients
- Solution monitoring and control
- Running in parallel; steady state and transient
Course Delivery and Materials
- The live course will be delivered via GoToMeeting.
- Access to the course will be provided to registrants near the course start date.
- Access to the software and individual logins will be provided through cloud computing.
- All slides and exercises will be available for download.
- No part of these materials may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted, unless for course participants. All rights reserved.
- Sessions will not be recorded.
Matej Forman, leads the OpenFOAM training team, is based in Europe working as part of the core OpenFOAM team at OpenCFD for the past 7 years, and has worked with OpenFOAM for the past 12 years. His academic background is in combustion, heat/mass transfer and multiphase flows. In addition to his lead training responsibilities, Matej develops documentation and training materials for meshing best practices, physical modelling and numerical controls.