OpenFOAM® CFD Foundations – Online Short Course (April 25 – 26, 2023) 25 April - 26 April 2023 Online
Instructed by Mr. Matej Forman, OpenFOAM training team leader, ESI Group
Tuesday 25 April – Wednesday 26 April 2023
- Bootcamp-style live online course over 2 days in April 2023
- 1030-1930 Eastern Time (730-1630 Pacific Time)
- Learn OpenFOAM CFD Fundamentals for Aerospace with a combination of lectures and associated hands-on lab exercises
- All course notes and exercises will be available for download.No sessions will be recorded.
- All students will receive an AIAA Certificate of Completion at the end of the course
This course introduces the open source CFD toolbox, OpenFOAM. It provides a foundation for all aspects of OpenFOAM, from running cases to programming, so is useful to both new users and existing users wishing to broaden their basic knowledge of OpenFOAM.
An experienced trainer from OpenCFD – the company delivering official distribution of OpenFOAM every 6 months - will be presenting practical training based on the latest release. Training is based on mixture of lectures and hands-on exploring simple applications run on a cloud computer. More information can be found at https://openfoam.com/training/aerospace.php
• Learn how to download and install the Official OpenFOAM open-source release from openfoam.com
• Use the built-in unstructured mesher snappyHexMesh and boundary layer controls
• Apply appropriate physics and boundary conditions for aerospace applications.
• Hands-on exercise on a standard airfoil example using a RANS model
• Hands-on exercise on 3D geometry – full aircraft and wing with aileron
• New adjoint-shape optimization capabilities will be presented
• Familiarize yourself with the open-source software ParaView for post-processing
• Establish the basics of OpenFOAM knowledge, leading to more advanced application and programming
Who Should Attend
The Foundations course is suitable for new users and existing users seeking to broaden their basic knowledge of OpenFOAM, particularly in best practices and latest developments. The Foundations Course is designed to impart important background knowledge to be able to use OpenFOAM effectively. People generally underestimate the amount and range of information covered on the Foundations Course. The aim of the training is not only to bring to show how to use OpenFOAM but as well how it works to help users understand the choices they make on meshing, numerics and boundary condition setup.
Course Registration Fees (Sign-In to Register)
- Non-Member Price: $1,095 USD
- AIAA Member Price: $895 USD
- AIAA Student Member Price: $495 USD
Classroom hours / CEUs: 16 classroom hours / 16 CEUs
Cancellation Policy: A refund less a $50.00 cancellation fee will be assessed for all cancellations made in writing prior to 5 days before the start of the event. After that time, no refunds will be provided.
• Background in the use of Linux/UNIX
• OpenFOAM applications
• Basic meshing
• Field initialization and boundary conditions
• Selecting models and setting parameters
• Solution monitoring and control
• Advanced meshing using snappyHexMesh
• Mesh quality assessment
• Boundary conditions
• Reynolds-averaged simulation for turbulence
• Post-processing tools and visualization
• Running in parallel
• The finite volume method and PISO/SIMPLE/PIMPLE algorithms
• Best practices on solver and discretization setup
• Aerospace specific examples and cases – airfoil, wing, simple aircraft
Course Delivery and Materials
- The live course will be delivered via GoToMeeting.
- Access to course will be provided to registrants near to the course start date.
- Access to the software and individual logins will be provided through cloud computing.
- All slides and exercises will be available for download. No part of these materials may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted, unless for course participants. All rights reserved.
- Sessions will not be recorded.