OpenFOAM CFD Foundations (2-Day Course) 8 January - 9 January 2022 Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego, CA
In This Section
This course introduces the open source CFD toolbox, OpenFOAM. It provides a foundation for all aspects of OpenFOAM, from running cases to programming, so is useful to both new users and existing users wishing to broaden their basic knowledge of OpenFOAM.
An experienced trainer from OpenCFD – the company delivering official distribution of OpenFOAM every 6 months - will be presenting practical training based on the latest release. Training is based on mixture of lectures and hands-on exploring simple applications run on a cloud computer. More information can be found at https://openfoam.com/training/aerospace.php
• Learn how to download and install the Official OpenFOAM open-source release from openfoam.com
• Use the built-in unstructured mesher snappyHexMesh and boundary layer controls
• Apply appropriate physics and boundary conditions for aerospace applications.
• Hands-on exercise on a standard airfoil example using a RANS model
• Hands-on exercise on 3D geometry – full aircraWft and wing with aileron
• New adjoint-shape optimization capabilities will be presented
• Familiarize yourself with the open-source software ParaView for post-processing
• Establish the basics of OpenFOAM knowledge, leading to more advanced application and programming
Who Should Attend
The Foundations course is suitable for new users and existing users seeking to broaden their basic knowledge of OpenFOAM, particularly in best practices and latest developments. The Foundations Course is designed to impart important background knowledge to be able to use OpenFOAM effectively. People generally underestimate the amount and range of information covered on the Foundations Course. The aim of the training is not only to bring to show how to use OpenFOAM but as well how it works to help users understand the choices they make on meshing, numerics and boundary condition setup.
Course Registration Fees - Take advantage of the discounted pricing for this course through AIAA!
AIAA CEUs are available for this course.
Please contact Lisa Le if you have questions about the course or group discounts (for 5+ participants).
In-person Course and Workshop attendees will be required to present proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test. A third-party vendor will be used to collect all vaccination and testing information. Booster shots will not be necessary. Information will follow your registration with instructions on how to submit these documents closer to the event.
• Background in the use of Linux/UNIX
• OpenFOAM applications
• Basic meshing
• Field initialization and boundary conditions
• Selecting models and setting parameters
• Solution monitoring and control
• Advanced meshing using snappyHexMesh
• Mesh quality assessment
• Boundary conditions
• Reynolds-averaged simulation for turbulence
• Post-processing tools and visualization
• Running in parallel
• The finite volume method and PISO/SIMPLE/PIMPLE algorithms
• Best practices on solver and discretization setup
• Aerospace specific examples and cases – airfoil, wing, simple aircraft