Sustainable Aviation: Challenges, Design Implications, Recent Advancements, Noise, Emissions, Alternative Fuels, Electric Aircraft, and Emerging Technologies - Online Short Course (Starts May 23, 2023) 23 May - 6 June 2023 Online
Instructed by Dr. Marty Bradley
- From May 23 – June 6, 2023 (2.5 Weeks, 5 Classes, 10 Total Hours)
- Every Tuesday and Thursday at 1300-1500 Eastern Time (all sessions will be recorded and available for replay; course notes will be available for download)
- New expanded course covers all of the most important and relevant topics in Sustainable Aviation
- All students will receive an AIAA Certificate of Completion at the end of the course
In this course, participants learn about the history and current developments in sustainable aviation. Participants will learn the about the various topics related to sustainable aviation that include noise, alternative fuels (biofuels, synthetic fuels, methane, alcohols, and hydrogen), and lifecycle environmental impact and analysis. The possible advantages and challenges of each type of alternative fuel will be discussed. A practical overview of Electric Aircraft Design will also be presented.
- Identify the definition and key elements of Sustainable Aviation
- Identify noise sources and aircraft noise requirements
- Understand the promises and challenges of different types of alternative fuels and electric aircraft
- Understand the concept of environment lifecycle assessment and how it can be applied to aircraft systems
- Know about recent developments in Sustainable Aviation
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is intended for engineers with a background in aerospace engineering who are interested in learning about key aspects of Sustainable Aviation.
COURSE FEES (Sign-In To Register)
- AIAA Member Price: $595 USD
- Non-Member Price: $795 USD
- AIAA Student Member Price: $295 USD
Classroom hours / CEUs: 10 classroom hours / 1.0 CEU/PDH
Cancellation Policy: A refund less a $50.00 cancellation fee will be assessed for all cancellations made in writing prior to 5 days before the start of the event. After that time, no refunds will be provided.
- Benefits of aviation
- What is sustainable aviation?
- Noise requirements
- Noise sources and mitigation
- Climate and energy
- Air Pollution
- Advanced Technologies
- Biofuels and synthetic jet fuel
- Methane / natural gas
- Sample Exercises
- Electric Aircraft
- Benefits and challenges
- Electric and hybrid electric propulsion architectures
- Performance example
- Wrap Up
- Recent developments in the news
- Technology matrix comparisons
Course Delivery and Materials
- The course lectures will be delivered via Zoom. You can test your connection here: https://zoom.us/test
- All sessions will be available on-demand within 1-2 days of the lecture. Once available, you can stream the replay video anytime, 24/7. All slides will be available for download after each lecture.
- No part of these materials may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted, unless for course participants. All rights reserved.
- Between lectures, the instructors will be available via email for technical questions and comments.
Dr. Marty Bradley is an AIAA Fellow and recently retired Technical Fellow for The Boeing Company. He has 38 years of aerospace experience and is now a consultant and instructor focused on sustainable aviation and electric aircraft.
Marty has led projects related to electric and hybrid electric aircraft, advanced concepts and technologies, propulsion integration for advanced technologies, alternative fuels, and aviation environmental life cycle analysis. He was the Principal Investigator for the NASA-funded SUGAR study looking at advanced technologies for future commercial aircraft in the 2030-2050 timeframe. He has been working on Sustainable Aviation for more than 20 years, long before it was popular.
He has a B.S., M.S., & Ph.D. from the University of Southern California and teaches their Aircraft Design capstone engineering course.