In This Section
- Instructed by Dr. Marty Bradley
In this (short) short course, participants learn about the history and current developments in sustainable aviation. Participants will learn the about the various topics related to sustainable aviation that include noise, alternative fuels (biofuels, synthetic fuels, methane, alcohols, and hydrogen), and lifecycle environmental impact and analysis. The possible advantages and challenges of each type of alternative fuel will be discussed. Electric aircraft will also be discussed, but to a limited extent. (For detailed instruction on electric and hybrid electric propulsion and aircraft, other AIAA courses are available)
• Identify the definition and key elements of Sustainable Aviation
• Identify noise sources and aircraft noise requirements
• Understand the promises and challenges of different types of alternative fuels and electric aircraft
• Understand the concept of environment lifecycle assessment and how it can be applied to aircraft systems
• Know about recent developments in Sustainable Aviation
[Detailed Outline below]
Who Should Attend
This course intended for engineers with a background in aerospace engineering that are interested in learning about key aspects of Sustainable Aviation.
· Introduction:[0.25 hours]
Dr. Marty Bradley is an AIAA Fellow and recently retired Technical Fellow for The Boeing Company. He has 36 years of aerospace experience and is now a consultant and instructor focused on sustainable aviation and electric aircraft.
Marty has led projects related to electric and hybrid electric aircraft, advanced concepts and technologies, propulsion integration for advanced technologies, alternative fuels, and aviation environmental life cycle analysis. He was the Principal Investigator for the NASA-funded SUGAR study looking at advanced technologies for future commercial aircraft and has been working on Sustainable Aviation for 20 years.
He has a B.S., M.S., & Ph.D. from the University of Southern California and teaches their Aircraft Design capstone design course.