Technical Writing Essentials for Engineers – Online Short Course (Starts Mar 29, 2022) 29 March - 7 April 2022 Online
In This Section
- From March 29 – April 7, 2022 (2 Weeks, 4 Classes, 8 Hours)
- Every Tuesday and Thursday at 1300-1500 Eastern Time (all sessions will be recorded and available for replay; course notes will be available for download)
- This short course introduces students to essential technical writing skills for proposals, technical reports, and process or requirements documents.
- The course presents (1) a multi-step process for organizing, drafting, and writing documents, (2) techniques for creating figures, and (3), guidelines for creating clear and succinct technical prose.
- The course consists of lectures, in-class exercises, and recommended (but optional) between-class exercises that give the student practical experience.
- All students will receive an AIAA Certificate of Completion at the end of the course.
This course is designed for engineers tasked to write technical reports, proposal technical volumes, and engineering process documents. The course techniques and guidelines were assembled by the instructor through his experience working on these types of documents during his career, and through the tutelage of technical document editors and proposal development consultants involved with these documents. The material is specific to writing needs of professional engineers. Almost half of the course is dedicated to learning a disciplined process for organizing and drafting documents and figures. The remaining portion consists of learning essential writing guidelines for efficient communication with a reader. Students spend course time practicing the techniques introduced in the lectures. Students must be able to use Microsoft Word, and experience in Microsoft PowerPoint is helpful.
Between classes, students will be encouraged to complete optional assigned exercises that simulate the process for organizing and drafting technical documents. The students will email completed exercises to the instructor for review among the class in the following session. At the last session of the course, students will also get the opportunity to review other students’ (anonymous) document drafts.
- Gain expertise in the multi-step process for organizing and creating a technical document
- Learn, through practice, essential technical writing guidelines that help the professional produce easily-read and clearly-understood technical writing
This course is intended for any engineer tasked with creating a research paper, research report, proposal document, technical process description, or any other technical documentation.
Course Fees (Sign-In To Register)
- Non-Member Price: $645 USD
- AIAA Member Price: $445 USD
- AIAA Student Member Price: $195 USD
CLASSROOM HOURS/ CEUs: 8 classroom hours / .8 CEU/PDH
- Class 1
- Lecture – The Technical Writing Process: Six-Step Process
- Exercise – Create a Module Layout
- Class 2
- Review Module Layouts
- Lecture – Creating Effective Figures
- Lecture – Big-4 Effective Writing Essentials w/ Mini Exercises
- Exercise – Create Sample Draft Figure and Module Bullet Statements Techniques for removing bias
- Class 3
- Review Figures and Bullet Statements
- Lecture - Guidelines for Clear and Succinct Writing w/ Mini Exercises
- Exercise – Create First Draft Text for Module
- Class 4
- Review others’ document drafts
- Final Exercise – Edit This Memo
Course Delivery and Materials:
- The course lectures will be delivered via Zoom. You can test your connection here: https://zoom.us/test
Access to the Zoom classroom will be provided to registrants near the course start date.
All sessions will be available on-demand within 1-2 business days of the lecture. Once available, you can stream the replay video anytime, 24/7.
All slides will be available for download after each lecture. No part of these materials may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted, unless for course participants. All rights reserved.
Between lectures during the course, the instructors will be available via email for technical questions and comments.
Contact: Please contact Lisa Le or Customer Service if you have questions about the course or group discounts (for 5+ participants).