UAV Aircraft Design by Dan Raymer
Instructed by Dr. Daniel P. Raymer, author of the best-selling AIAA textbook "Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach"
- Conceptual design, development, and operation of unmanned/uninhabited air vehicles
- Roles, missions, operations, command & control of UAV’s
- Historical perspective
- Operational & developmental UAV’s
- Requirements definition
- Aircraft conceptual design methods suitable for UAV’s
- Preliminary sizing & layout design
- Analysis of aerodynamics, weights, propulsion, range, performance
- Cost estimation, and optimization
- Case studies, and recent UAV developments
- (See below for full course outline)
Type of Course: Instructor-Led Short Course
Course Length: 3 days
AIAA CEU's available: Yes
· Roles and missions
· Historical overview
· Current UAV models/designs
· UAV requirements definition
· Command and control
· Avionics overview
· Case Study: BQM-167
· Aircraft conceptual design methods
· Preliminary sizing
· Takeoff/landing options
· Extreme endurance
· Electric aircraft
· Case Study: Global Hawk
· UAV design analysis including aerodynamics
· Performance analysis
· Case Study: UAV Design-Build-Fly
· UAV structure and manufacturing concepts
· UAV subsystems and operations
· Derivative Aircraft Design & Analysis
· Cost analysis & optimization methods
· Case Study: Tactical UAVs
Dr Daniel P Raymer is President of the design and consulting company, Conceptual Research Corporation, and serves as Program Manager, Configuration Designer, and Chief Engineer for its varied projects.
Recipient of the prestigious AIAA Aircraft Design Award, Dr. Raymer is a recognized expert in the areas of Aerospace Vehicle Design and Configuration Layout, Computer-aided Design Methodologies and Design Education. During his 10 years in the Advanced Design Department of Rockwell (North American Aviation) he conceived and did the layout design of Rockwell's entries in what became the F-22, B-2, and T-45 programs, and was Head of Air Vehicle Design for the X-31.
His industry career includes positions as Director-Advanced Design with Lockheed, Director-Future Missions at the Aerojet Propulsion Research Institute, and Project Manager-Engineering at Rockwell North American Aviation. He also served as a research engineer and aerospace design consultant at the famous RAND Corporation think tank.
Dr. Raymer is the author of the best-selling AIAA textbook "Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach". Raymer wrote and continues to improve the RDSwin aircraft design and analysis software. He has received both Rockwell Engineer of the Year and the AIAA Summerfield Book awards. He is a Fellow of the American Inst. of Aeronautics & Astronautics (AIAA) and the International Society for Philosophical Enquiry (ISPE).