Understanding Cybersecurity in the Space Domain – Online Short Course (Oct 12-14, 2022) 12 October - 14 October 2022 Online
This exciting, fast-paced 3-day course examines the practical issues of developing and sustaining a secure cyber environment through all phases of the space mission lifecycle. The course is organized around the SPAce Domain Cybersecurity (SpaDoCs) Framework.
The SpaDoCs Framework provides a comprehensive and systematic model for understanding and tackling all critical issues of cybersecurity in the space domain. An examination of the Key objectives—confidentiality, integrity, availability—provides the foundation for the course.
From there, the space domain is examined layer by layer starting from the enterprise layer, then drilling down through mission, system and DevSecOps layers. Threats and vulnerabilities at each layer are highlighted. Finally, first principles of cybersecurity are discussed (domain separation, process isolation, etc.) as well as key enablers (vision, strategy, etc.) to help frame plans for action to address the cybersecurity issues exposed by this course.
Course exercises center around practical application of the material to real-world space mission scenarios.
At the end of this course, you will be able to…
Space Domain Cyber Security Fundamentals –
- Describe the big picture challenges of cybersecurity in the space domain as organized in the Space Domain Cybersecurity (SpaDoCs) Framework
- List and define key objectives of cybersecurity (CIA Triad), the first principles of secure systems, along with cybersecurity enablers
- Identify cyber threats to and vulnerabilities of space missions and systems
- Characterize the various layers of the space domain and the elements that comprise them
Cyber Security Principles –
- Apply cybersecurity first principles to specific space domain threats and vulnerabilities
- Associate specific cybersecurity enablers with various space domain threat or vulnerability scenarios
- Cybersecurity Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Analyze threats and vulnerabilities and their attack vectors for various space domain scenarios at each layer
Cyber Security Assessment Plans –
- Formulate inputs and issues to a cybersecurity assessment plan for a given space domain scenario
Who Should Attend:
- Space professionals who want to understand the cyber domain as it applies to their missions/programs.
- Cybersecurity professionals who want to understand the space domain.
- Non-Member Price: $1095 USD
- AIAA Member Price: $895 USD
- AIAA Student Member Price: $495 USD
In Fall 2022, AIAA and TSTI are offering a series of courses focused on Space Systems Engineering. While courses are completely self-contained and can be taken on their own, those students wishing to deepen their knowledge may be interested in additional course study:
Space Mission Operations (November 7-10, 2022)
Cancellation Policy: A refund less a $50.00 cancellation fee will be assessed for all cancellations made in writing prior to 14 days before the start of the event. After that time, no refunds will be provided.
Contact: Please contact Lisa Le or Customer Service if you have any questions about the course or group discounts.
- Course Intro
- Course Objectives
- Framework Overview
- Cybersecurity Fundamentals in the Space Domain
- Space Domain Layers
- Enterprise Layer
- Mission Layer
- System Layer
- DevOps Layer
- Threats and Vulnerabilities
- First Principles of cybersecurity applied in the space domain
- Enablers of security and mission success in space enterprises
Course Delivery and Materials
- The course lectures will be delivered via a Zoom virtual classroom.
- Classes will not be recorded.
- You can test your connection here: https://zoom.us/test
- Connection information will be provided to registrants near the course start date.
- Each registrant will receive:
- Course Notes: A complete set of course notes with copies of all slides used in the presentations
- TSTI Alumni status allowing online access to course materials, including tools and videos through the Alumni Lounge
- Between classes, the instructor will be available via email for technical questions and comments.