Diversity and Inclusion
In This Section
- Regions & Sections
- AIAA Committees on Standards
- AIAA Standing Committees
- Technical Committees
- Integration and Outreach Division Committees
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Young Professionals
AIAA must take an active role in attracting and retaining a diverse membership and in raising awareness and educating the community about diversity and inclusion. We also must provide diverse leadership and role models to establish a positive mentoring and nurturing environment. To shape the future of aerospace we must utilize and optimize the contributions from the entire workforce available for innovation, productivity, and intellectual progress.
Diversity and Inclusion Working Group
AIAA created the Diversity Working Group to ensure that we encourage participation and collaboration across all genders, ethnicities and races, and to enhance our representation of the entire industry. It is the working group's goal to improve on the following statistics, and grow the number of women and people from different races and ethnicities, to make our membership more representative of current industry demographics. The work of the committee is accomplished by sub groups.
- Outreach Subgroup: identifies and recommends academic, industry, government, and nonprofit organizations with which AIAA should formulate strategic partnerships.
- Programming Subgroup: Identifies and develops programs that will provide education, awareness, support, and growth of diversity within AIAA.
- Leadership, Growth, and Retention Subgroup: identifies and develops opportunities that will foster leadership and growth of underrepresented constituencies and identify and develop opportunities that will encourage underrepresented constituencies connected to AIAA.
- Communications Subgroup: Communicates with AIAA members, sponsors, and the public about diversity efforts within AIAA.
Diversity Scholars Program
The AIAA Diversity Scholars Program provides opportunities for underrepresented university students pursuing a degree in aerospace to attend an AIAA forum. Full-time students, from U.S. institutions, are invited to apply for a scholarship to attend
select forums throughout the year.
This award recognizes an individual or group within AIAA who has devoted time and effort and made significant contributions to the advancement of diversity and inclusion within the Institute. It also seeks to raise awareness on the value of a diverse
membership and inclusive environment, and of important and challenging issues pertaining to diversity and inclusion in the aerospace workforce at large.
Local Section Grant
The DWG can support local AIAA Sections who want to hold events or programs that foster more diversity and inclusion within AIAA. Click the button below to download, fill out, and submit a form to request financial and programmatic support from the
Diversity Working Group.
One great way to get engaged with the Diversity Working Group is to join AIAA's first-ever LinkedIn "subgroup," which is focused on diversity. As a member of AIAA's Diversity LinkedIn subgroup, you will be notified about articles, announcements, and related discussions. You will also be able to start discussions, contribute articles, and participate in online dialogues. Encouraging and enabling that participation among AIAA members and leadership is a fundamental reason for this group.