AIAA currently has more than 240 student branches, including 40+ international student branches, with a total active membership of over 7,500 students worldwide. Student Branches are your base of operations during your college years. Meet fellow students who share your passion and commitment to aerospace. Student branches foster opportunities for collaboration with engineering students from other departments and aid in the educational development of their members.
AIAA Student Branches
Here is a listing of all current AIAA Student Branches:
Charter a Student Branch at Your School
A student branch may be established at any junior college, college, or university with programs in engineering or science leading to a bachelor’s or associate’s degree in science, technology, or a recognized equivalent. AIAA Members in good standing may complete an application to start a student branch.
Requirements for Starting a Student Branch:
- The school must be accredited by ABET, Inc. (formerly the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) or by the appropriate regional accrediting body.
- The Dean of the Engineering School, or an equivalent academic official, must write a letter of endorsement giving the school's official recognition of the group.
- At least one school faculty member, who is an AIAA Professional Member, must serve as Faculty Advisor to the student branch.
- At least fifteen (15) students must have enrolled as student members of AIAA.
- The prospective branch must submit proof of accreditation of the school's engineering programs.
- The prospective branch must submit a set of bylaws. The student branch bylaws template can be found here.
- The prospective branch must submit a succession plan indicating how the branch will continue to grow and maintain their status with AIAA.
- The student branch subcommittee and Council of Directors must review and vote on your application for a charter. If the application is approved, your educational institution will be granted a charter.
Branch Chartering Timeline
For further information please contact Lindsay Mitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.264.7502.