AIAA currently has over 190 active student branches, including 12 foreign student branches, with a total active membership of over 5,000 students worldwide. Your student branch is your base of operations in AIAA during your college years, and it’s an open door to professional activities, recognition, and contacts that would otherwise be unavailable to students.
Charter a Student Branch at Your School
A student branch may be established at any junior college, college, or university with programs in engineering or science leading to a bachelor’s or associate’s degree in science, technology, or a recognized equivalent.
Requirements for Starting a Student Branch:
- The school must be accredited by ABET, Inc. (formerly the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) or by the appropriate regional accrediting body.
- At least one school faculty member, who is an AIAA Professional Member, must act as Faculty Advisor to the student branch.
- The Dean of the Engineering School, or an equivalent academic official, must write a letter of endorsement giving the school's official recognition of the group.
- At least fifteen (15) students must have enrolled as charter members of the student branch.
- The prospective branch must submit proof of accreditation of the school's engineering programs.
- The prospective branch must submit a set of bylaws (these may be found in the Student Branch Manual).
- The student branch subcommittee and Council of Directors must review and vote on your application for a charter. If the application is approved, your educational institution will be granted a charter.
2020 Application Schedule
- Application submissions-November 1, 2018
- Deadline to submit application-March 31, 2019 (11:59 p.m. EST)
- Review by Committee-April 1 thru April 30
- Council of Directors to make final vote at Meeting in May
AIAA Student Branches
Here is a listing of all current AIAA Student Branches: