Q: How long will it take for my membership to be processed?
A: Your online application is processed almost immediately. You will receive a confirmation email showing your membership ID number along with additional information to help you start using your benefits immediately. If you submit your application via mail, it can take 1–2 weeks for processing.
Q: When will I receive my New Member Information Kit?
A: Within one or two days of joining, you will receive your New Member Information via email.
Q. Will I receive a receipt?
A: Yes. If you join via the Web, your email confirmation will detail your order. If you would like a printed receipt, please contact our Customer Service Department by email or phone at 703.264.7500 or 800.639.2422 (inside the United States).
Q: When will I receive my first issue of Aerospace America?
A: Your first issue will ship approximately one month after you join.
Q: How do I find out about my section assignment?
A: Each AIAA member is assigned to a section based upon his or her preferred Zip code or postal code. When you log in to MyAIAA, your section assignment will be displayed.
Membership Changes or Updates
Q: Can I change or update the information in my AIAA record without calling the Customer Service Department?
A: Yes. To change or update your AIAA member information log on to MyAIAA. Then click on "Manage My Profile."
Q: I have just finished school and started a job. Does AIAA have any type of discounts for persons new to the field?
A: Yes. If you are 35 years of age or under, within your first five years of professional employment, and have not previously been a student member, you can join at one-half the full dues rate. The second year will be at full price.
If you are a current student member of AIAA at the time of graduation, AIAA will transition you over three years to full professional member dues.
Student to Professional Transition
- 1st year you pay 25% of dues
- 2nd year you pay 50% of dues
- 3rd year you pay 75% of dues
- 4th year full member dues
To apply for upgrade contact
AIAA Customer Service.
Q: I am returning to school. Will my dues change?
A: A professional member of AIAA who is returning to school as a FULL-TIME student is eligible for reduced member dues of one-half the current dues rate at his or her next renewal date. The member will not be recategorized as a student member, and will retain professional member status.
Q: I am retiring. Do I need to notify AIAA?
A: Yes, please. You may change your status to retired by contacting AIAA Customer Service or by making the change at renewal. As a fully retired member of AIAA, you qualify for reduced dues and registration fees for AIAA conferences. Your dues will drop to 50% of the current dues rate at your next renewal date.
Q: I am unemployed but want to maintain my membership. What do I do?
A: Contact AIAA Customer Service. A 50% reduction in membership dues is available to a member who informs AIAA Headquarters that he or she has become involuntarily unemployed and is seeking reemployment. The unemployment dues fee shall not exceed four years. The reduced payments may not be made in installments.
Q: My spouse would like to become a member of AIAA. Is there a discount for the two memberships?
A: When two members are married to each other, AIAA offers a “spouse” dues rate to one of them. The spouse dues are one-half the current dues rate. Both members retain “Professional” membership status, but only one copy of Aerospace America will be sent – to the member paying the full dues rate. To take advantage of the spouse dues rate, the spouse must join as an Associate Member or Member. In the dues section of the application, he or she will select the spouse rate and will be prompted to enter their spouse’s member ID number.
Engaging with AIAA
Q: How can I become active in my local section?
A: You can find the point of contact for your section. You will find contact information for your section on their website, found in My AIAA, My Communities.
Q: How can I become a member of one of the AIAA Standing Committees?
A: You may nominate yourself or be nominated by another member for membership on an AIAA Standing Committee. You will find a description of the scope, volunteer contact for each of AIAA's Committees here. Access the Online Nomination site.
Q: How do I become a member of an AIAA Technical Committee?
A: Any AIAA member is welcome to apply for membership on a Technical Committee. Technical Committee membership is generally for three consecutive one-year terms. Nominations open 1 August and close 1 November, although midyear placement on a Technical Committee is also possible. Descriptions and web links for the more than 65 technical committees are found here. Access the Online Nomination site.
Q: Does AIAA offer any programs for younger professional members?
A: Yes. AIAA has developed special programs for young professionals under the age of 35. Find out more.
Q: What is AIAA's non-discrimination policy?
A: AIAA is committed to providing engagement opportunities and access to products and services in a manner that is free from discrimination based on any personal factor unrelated to qualifications or performance. Such personal factors include, without limitation, race or color, citizenship, national origin or ethnicity, ancestry, religion or creed, political affiliation or belief, age, sex or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Find out more.
Q: What is my membership status?
A: To check on your membership status, please log in to My AIAA. Your membership expiration date will be displayed. If you prefer, you may contact AIAA Customer Service.
Q: What are the grades of membership?
A: There are nine grades of AIAA membership.
- Student Member - Student Members are those who are interested in aeronautics and astronautics and whose primary activity is study at recognized colleges, universities, or secondary schools offering curricula and studies acceptable to the Institute. Student Members may not vote in Board of Director elections.
- Associate Member - Associate Members are individuals who do not have a degree in science or engineering but who are interested in the development or application of aeronautics and astronautics. Associate Members may not vote in Board of Director elections.
- Member - Members are individuals who have acquired a professional standing in the practice of the arts, sciences, or technology of aeronautics and astronautics. Member applicants shall have achieved a Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering, or equivalent qualifications through professional practice.
- Senior Member - Senior Members are individuals who have demonstrated successful professional practice in the arts, sciences, or technology of aeronautics or astronautics for the equivalent of at least eight years.
- Associate Fellow - Associate Fellows are individuals who have accomplished or been in charge of important engineering or scientific work, who have done original work of outstanding merit, or who have otherwise made outstanding contributions to the arts, sciences, or technology of aeronautics or astronautics. A candidate for this honor must have at least 12 years of professional experience and must be a Senior Member in good standing of the Institute. Self-nominations are not permitted.
- Fellow - Fellows are individuals of distinction in aeronautics or astronautics who have made notable and valuable contributions to the arts, sciences, or technology of aeronautics or astronautics. A candidate for this honor must have been an Associate Fellow in good standing.
- Honorary Fellow - Honorary Fellows are individuals of eminence in aeronautics or astronautics recognized by a long and highly contributive career in the arts, sciences, or technology of aeronautics or astronautics. A candidate for this honor must have been a Fellow in good standing.
- Honorary Member - Honorary Members are be persons of distinction associated with aeronautics or astronautics, who are nominated by the Honors and Awards Committee and elected by the Board.
- Educator Associate - Educator Associates are K–12 teachers of the “STEM” subjects of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. Educator Associate Members may not vote in Board of Director elections. This membership remains valid as long as the member’s email address is valid.
Q: Does AIAA offer Lifetime Memberships?
A: Yes. AIAA has a special dues rate for becoming Lifetime Members. The cost for Lifetime Membership is 15 times the annual applicable dues rate. You may pay Lifetime Membership dues in full or in installments of two, four, or eight payments. To take
advantage of this option, please contact
AIAA Customer Service at 800.639.2422.
Q: Is there a fee to advance my membership status?
A: No. AIAA does not charge a fee to upgrade your membership. Your dues only increases when you are elected to Associate Fellow and Fellow.
Q: How do I know if I qualify for a membership advancement in grade?
A: The standards for qualifying for advancement in membership are simple:
- Senior Member: You are eligible for Senior Member status if you have over eight years of professional practice in the arts, sciences, or technology of aeronautics or astronautics.
- Associate Fellow: You may be nominated for Associate Fellow status if you are a Senior Member in good standing and have over 12 years of professional practice in the arts, sciences, or technology of aeronautics or astronautics.
- Fellow: You may be nominated for Fellow if you have been an Associate Fellow in good standing and have made notable and valuable contributions in the field of aeronautics or astronautics.
- Honorary Fellow: You may be nominated for Honorary Fellow if you have been a Fellow in good standing and are a person of eminence in aeronautics or astronautics, recognized by a long and highly contributive career in the arts, sciences, or technology of these fields.
Q: What are the deadlines for the various membership upgrade nominations? A: Senior Member nominations are accepted and processed each month. Associate Fellow nominations are due by 15 April of each year, with references due by 15 May.
Fellow and Honorary Fellow nominations are due by 15 June of each year, with references due by 15 July.
Q: Who reviews the nominations for various membership upgrades?
A: Your professional peers review all AIAA membership upgrade applications. Each year, the AIAA Board of Directors appoints selection committees to review all nominations for membership upgrade.
Q: Can you give me any tips for completing the advancement nominations?
A: Nominations should be thoroughly and thoughtfully filled out, and comply with page and section limits. The committees prefer not to receive excessive or poorly organized material. A more voluminous submission is not necessarily a better one! Additionally, please make sure the references who are selected are knowledgeable of the candidate’s work. Do not include resumes or CVs.
Q: I am an international member and have difficulty finding references. Are they an important part of the review process?
A: References are critical to the review process. AIAA is aware that international members may have difficulty finding references. The AIAA staff and many volunteers will always assist you in finding appropriate references.
Q: I am interested in upgrading my AIAA membership. How do I start the process?
A: To advance your membership, log in to MyAIAA and click on the nomination link located under Membership Advancements.
Q: My membership has expired. Will I lose my member grade when I renew?
A: No. When you reinstate your AIAA membership, you will return at the same member grade you had attained before your membership expired.
Q: My AIAA membership expired over a year ago. Will I lose my continuous membership date?
A: Yes. However, if you wish to retain your original continuous membership date, you may do so by paying the back dues for the years during which your membership had lapsed.
Q: I registered for a conference at the nonmember rate. Does it include membership renewal?
A: Yes, a year of membership is included when you pay the full, nonmember rate. Membership is not included if you registered for the conference at the group rate.
Q: I have not been receiving my copy of Aerospace America. What should I do?
A: You should log onto My AIAA and verify that your mailing address is correct. If your address is correct, please contact AIAA Customer Service at 1.800.639.2422 and explain when you received your last issue. A customer service representative will confirm your subscription, troubleshoot the problem, and have replacement issues sent to you.
Honors and Awards
Q: Where can I find information about the AIAA Honors and Awards program?
A: All of your answers can be found on the
Honors and Awards Frequently Asked Questions page.
Q: Where can I make a nomination?
A: Please visit the Membership/Honors and Awards section of the AIAA website, and then select " Awards."