2022 AIAA SciTech Forum to Focus on Sustainability Written 13 October 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Registration Now Open for the World’s Largest Aerospace R&D
October 13, 2021 – Reston, Va. – The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) announced its five-day program on sustainability for the 2022 AIAA SciTech Forum, 3–7 January 2022, San Diego, and virtually. This year’s program features over 3,000 technical presentations and an extensive lineup of industry leaders as speakers, panelists, and presenters. The focus on the timely topic of sustainability will reach beyond traditional environmental sustainability to address the challenges and opportunities in many aspects.
“We are excited to welcome the aerospace community to the 2022 AIAA SciTech Forum as we explore the science, technologies, and policies that are shaping our industry’s future and enabling sustainability. There are important issues and perspectives we must share, discuss, and debate around sustainability to strengthen the aerospace industry and position it for continued success,” said AIAA Executive Director Dan Dumbacher. “Following so many online-only events in the past year, we are energized around the chance to gather safely in person again.”
The speakers and panelists participating in the 2022 AIAA SciTech Forum are proven business leaders and innovators within the industry. Attendees will hear their perspectives on socioeconomic and workforce sustainability; operational futures for air and space; sustainability through diversification; and the environment. Some of the speakers confirmed thus far include:
- Victoria Coleman, Chief Scientist, U.S. Air Force
- The Honorable Steven J. Isakowitz, President and CEO, The Aerospace Corporation
- Laura McGill, Deputy Laboratories Director and CTO for Nuclear Deterrence, Sandia National Laboratories
- Pamela Melroy (Colonel, USAF, Ret.), Deputy Administrator, NASA
- Steven N. Rader, Manager, NASA Center of Excellence for Collaborative Innovation
- Brendan Reed, Director, Airport Planning & Environmental Affairs, San Diego Airport Authority
- Óscar Rodríguez, President, Bajio Aerospace Cluster
The 2022 event will cover 50+ research topics, including: fluid dynamics; applied aerodynamics; digital engineering; guidance, navigation, and control; propulsion; and more. Some of the planned programming elements include:
- Daily keynote addresses and panel sessions focusing on dimensions of sustainability, including human/socioeconomic, workforce, diversification, operations, and the environment.
- The third annual “Idea Challenge” with teams of young professionals pitching ideas or products that fit under “Harvesting Adjacent Industry Technologies to Support Aerospace Sustainability.”
Additional speakers and sessions will be announced in the coming weeks, as details are confirmed. For the most up-to-date program and registration information visit www.aiaa.org/SciTech.
Media Contact: Rebecca B. Gray, RebeccaG@AIAA.org, 804-397-5270 cell
About AIAAThe American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) is the world’s largest aerospace technical society. With nearly 30,000 individual members from 91 countries, and 100 corporate members, AIAA brings together industry, academia, and government to advance engineering and science in aviation, space, and defense. For more information, visit www.aiaa.org, or follow AIAA on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram.