Professor, Mechanical Engineering
University of Maryland
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota, 1986
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Accredited member, The European Process Intensification Center, in recognition of contributions in Enhanced Heat ad Mass Transfer Augmentation research impact, April 2013
- Contributing Author, the Global Energy Assessment (GEA) policy document, Nov. 2012. The GEA document was authored by selected experts from around the world. It examines major global challenges and their linkage to energy; existing and emerging technologies for affordable and clean energy; and policies/measures for sustainable future energy resources.
- Nominated for the 2013 ASHRAE Campbell Award, in recognition of contributions in Research, Educational, and Professional Outreach activities in the sciences and applications of HVAC and refrigeration systems.
- ITherm 2012 Award (the 13th Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Theermomechncial Phenomenon in Electronic Systems), in recognition of contributions to Panel Discussions and service as Track Co-Chair , June 2012
- ASHRAE (American Society of Heating Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers) Exceptional Service Award, June 2011
- SPE (Society of Petroleum Engineers) distinguished contributions award, May 2010
- Regional Editor, Journal of Enhanced Heat Transfer (2001-Present)
- Member, ASME Global Communities District J Operating Board (2009-Present).
- Listed in Who's Who in Engineering Academia; Who’s Who in the World, Marquis Who's Who, and several other distinguished citations.
- Member of the Advisory Board and past Chairman, ASME Executive Committee for Process Industries (2004-Present)
- ASHRAE Distinguished Service Award, June 2002
- Elected ASHRAE Fellow Member Grade, June 2002
- Elected ASME Fellow, May 1999
- Elected to the ASME Society-Level Nominating Committee, June 2000-June 2002
- Elected to ASME Potter Medal Awards Committee, February 2001-2005
- Chairman of ASHRAE TC 8.4 Technical Committee on Air-to-Liquid Heat Exchangers, June 2001-June 2004
- Faculty Advisor Award for “Most Active ASHRAE Student Chapter in the Eastern United States,” 2001
- ASME/JSME Distinguished Service Award, June 1999
- Japan STA Fellowship Award, 1998-1999
- Finalist for “Invention of the Year Award,” University of Maryland, 1996
- ASME ECO World 92 Distinguished Contribution Award, 1992
- SAE Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1989
- Michigan Tech. Distinguished Teaching Award, University Level, 1989
- Michigan Tech. Distinguished Teaching Award, Mechanical Engr. Departmental Level, 1988
- State of Michigan MAGB Distinguished Faculty Award, 1988