In an effort to host a more environmentally sustainable forum, AIAA has implemented several green initiatives this year. Learn how you can do your part to Go Green.
Clean the World
The Hyatt Regency Orlando supports the concept of Circular Economy where diverting products from becoming waste, and using recirculated materials, helps avoid reliance on virgin or non-renewable resources. Some of the items within their recycling and diversion program are: cardboard, plastic, aluminum, oil, pallets, and green waste. Many of these items are from the general operations of the hotel, however, they also participate in a program called Clean the World, which takes hygiene “waste” from guests and repurposes it to help children living in poverty. According to the World Health Organization, millions of young lives could be saved with access to bar soap and hygiene education, as pneumonia and diarrheal disease are two of the leading causes of death among children under 5 years old. More than 2 million bars of partially used hotel soap are thrown away every day in the United States. However, by recycling soap and other discarded hygiene products, Clean the World saves lives with items that traditionally end up in landfills. Please do your part and do not discard your slightly used hygiene products.
What is AIAA Doing?
- Providing an option to opt-out of the printed program during forum registration.
- Using digital directional/informative signage instead of printed signage throughout the venue.
- No longer printing committee meeting and course/workshop signs to be placed outside of rooms. Instead, digital displays signs will be utilized.
- No longer printing large banners in the plenary and Forum 360 session rooms. Instead, digital screens will be utilized.
- Partnering with the forum decorator to insure the sintra signage they print on is made from recycled materials.
- Lastly, AIAA is working to host forums at properties with a commitment to sustainability.
What Can You Do?
- Opt out of the printed program.
- Recycle your lanyard, badge, and final program at the end of the forum. Recycling bins will be located at Registration.
- Bring a reusable water bottle and utilize water stations throughout the hotel.
- Turn off the lights when leaving your hotel room.
- Keep the temperature in your room at a moderate, consistent degree.
- Skip housekeeping service for a day (or longer).
- Recycle using the hotel’s provided bins in the meeting space and your hotel room.
- Participate in the Clean the World program by not disposing of your soap upon your departure.