Bruce DeCleene Director, Office of Senior Technical Experts FAA
Deputy Director, Policy and Innovation, FAA (SES) (April 2022-present)
The Policy and Innovation division is responsible for the regulations, guidance and standards for the certification of aircraft. As Deputy Director, I am responsible for the aviation safety senior experts program, consisting of over a dozen executives in core technical disciplines and the aircraft certification research program. I am also responsible for the oversight of the use of voluntary consensus standards and the project-specific guidance for new entrant aircraft and technologies.
Director, Office of Safety Standards, FAA (SES) (March 2020-April 2022)
The office of Safety Standards is responsible for the regulations, guidance and standards for all aircraft maintenance and alteration, operations, airmen and operators, as well as the international coordination and agreements in these areas. In addition, the office is responsible for the operational suitability of aircraft, determined in conjunction with aircraft design approvals. The office has approximately 1000 employees.
Director, Office of Foundational Business, FAA (SES) (August 2017-March 2020)
The office of Foundational Business is responsible for the people, tools and procedures, and budget management for the Flight Standards Service to be successful. The people components include position management for the Service, effective hiring and selection, training and development. The Office is responsible for safety management and quality management across the Service, and for the Aircraft and Airmen Registry which handles all aircraft and airmen records.
Manager, Flight Technologies and Procedures Division, FAA (SES) (November 2012-August 2017)
The Flight Technologies and Procedures division is responsible for the regulations, guidance and standards relating to the operation of flight deck technologies, the policies governing the development and publication of instrument flight procedures, and the conduct of research in safety analysis and aircraft technologies.
Manager, Avionics Systems Branch, FAA (August 2008-October 2012)
- Lead 36 professionals in implementing safety enhancements through avionics and NextGen
- NextGen lead for Aircraft Certification Service
- Co-lead of organization design concept for Aircraft Certification Service
- Aircraft certification representative on the Performance-Based Aviation Rulemaking Committee
- Aviation Safety representative on the NextGen Advisory Committee Subcommittee
- Co-Chair of US/EU working group on civil satellite navigation under US/EU space-based positioning, navigation and timing agreement
- Aviation Safety representative to the RTCA Program Management Committee
Section Lead, Avionics Systems Branch, FAA (April 2007-August 2008)
Navigation Team Lead, FAA (May 1999-April 2007)
- US-nominated member, ICAO Navigation Systems Panel
- Co-chair, Satellite Operational Implementation Team
- Designated federal official, RTCA Global Positioning Systems Committee
- Designated federal official, RTCA Required Navigation Performance Committee
- Aircraft certification representative to ICAO performance-based navigation study group
- Civil co-chair of GPS Engineering Forum (inter-agency group under the Spaced-Based Positioning, Navigation and Timing Executive Committee)
- Member, Free-Flight Select Steering Committee
BSEE, University of Virginia, 1992
AIAA AVIATION Forum 2023