Turbulence Modeling for Aerodynamic Flows
Instructed by Dr. Florian Menter, Chief Scientist ANSYS Germany GmbH; developer of the widely used Shear-Stress Transport (SST) turbulence model.
Whether for aircraft, vehicles, or wind turbines, aerodynamics is a critical aspect of improving energy efficiency. Aerodynamics is a complex science — calculations need to be performed with a high degree of precision and accuracy, since every 1 percent of change in aerodynamic drag or lift has enormous implications on machine performance. Aerodynamic simulation, therefore, requires accurate flow solvers, comprehensive turbulence models, and precise geometry handling.
This 8-hour online course will cover Turbulence Modeling for aerodynamic flows. It will start with an introduction to the challenges of turbulence simulation and the currently used modeling concepts. It will then proceed to provide deeper insight into the main modeling concepts used in today’s industrial/aeronautical CFD simulations, ranging from Reynolds Averaged Navier Stokes (RANS) to Scale-Resolving Simulation (SRS) techniques, like Large Eddy Simulation, and hybrid RANS-LES methods.
Though Ansys CFD software will be used in the course to illustrate example models, the course content will focus on generalized physical principles and applicable to all CFD users, regardless of your CFD software tool of choice.
- Understand the fundamentals of Turbulence Modeling
- Understanding the mathematical description of turbulent flows
- Understand multiple types of advanced turbulent flow models.
Type of Course: Instructor-Led Short Course
Course Level: Fundamentals/Intermediate
Course Length: 1-2 days
AIAA CEU's available: Yes
- Topic 1: Overview Turbulence Modeling
- Topic 2: Introduction to Eddy-Viscosity Models
- Topic 3: Near Wall Modeling
- Topic 4: Advanced Eddy-Viscosity Models
- Topic 5: RANS Modeling of Laminar-Turbulent Transition
- Topic 6: Second Moment Closure
- Topic 7: Large Eddy Simulation
- Topic 8: Hybrid RANS-LES Models
- Topic 9: Best Practice in Turbulence Modeling and Outlook
Contact: Please contact Lisa Le or Customer Service if you have questions about the course or group discounts (for 5+ participants).
AIAA Training Links
Upcoming Public Courses and Workshops
For information, group discounts,
and private course pricing, contact:
Lisa Le, Education Specialist (email@example.com)