Hypersonics: Test and Evaluation (1-Day Course at 2024 SciTech Forum) 7 January 2024 0800 - 1700 Hyatt Regency Orlando, Orlando, Florida
Instructed by Mr. Daniel Marren, Hypersonic T&E and University Engagement Lead at Test Resource Management Center (TRMC) and Joint Hypersonic Transition Office (JHTO).
- 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM on Sunday January 7, 2024, at the Hyatt Regency Orlando before the AIAA SciTech Forum
This unique Hypersonic Test and Evaluation short course is an offering that is meant to introduce students to high speed and hypersonic test. The course will introduce the concept of hypersonic flight and describe the critical physics that is encountered at this unique and formidable speed regime. It will briefly discuss the system benefits and uses for this flight regime and put in perspective, why system performance and evaluation through test for this important speed regime can create difficulties for the tester, test facility developer and project manager. Principals of test design for this unique flight regime will be discussed as well as descriptions and examples of the typical test capability types along with examples of each in the current ground test infrastructure.
- Be able to describe the fundamentals of hypersonic flight.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the various benefits of speed.
- Understand the history of hypersonic test.
- Differentiate between the disciplines and test capabilities used to evaluate high speed systems.
- Gain a better understanding of the salient physics challenges for providing a relevant environment.
- Know the Benefits and Shortfalls of test and test techniques to choose evaluation method wisely.
- Recognize and plan for evaluation of important concepts through test
- [Detailed outline below]
- Early: $549
- Standard: $599
AIAA Member Rates
- Early: $449
- Standard: $499
AIAA Student Member Rates
- Early: $199
- Standard: $249
Please contact Lisa Le if you have questions about the course or group discounts (for 5+ participants).
- Hypersonic 101
- History of Hypersonic Systems
- Hypersonic Activity World-Wide
- Hypersonic Systems and Benefits
- Past Hypersonic Programs and their Contributions
- Challenges of Hypersonic Flight
- Reproducing the Hypersonic Environment
- Hypersonic Test and Evaluation
- T&E Compared to S&T
- Linking Analysis to Test
- Flight Experimentation Compared to Ground Test
- Types of Hypersonic Test
- Listing of Hypersonic Facilities and specifications
- Examples of Evaluation Techniques
- Measurements and Diagnostics
- Benefits of Ground Test facilities
- Challenges or Shortfalls to Ground Test Facilities
- Putting It Into Practice: Real Life Examples
- Lessons Learned from 50+ Years of Hypersonics
- US Hypersonic Emphasis
- Test Enterprise – S&T to T&E for the Future
- Summary and Look to the Future