Hypersonics: Test and Evaluation
Instructed by Mr. Daniel Marren, recently retired Director of the White Oak Site of AEDC Test Division at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex
This unique Hypersonics Test and Evaluation short course is an offering that is meant to introduce students to high speed and hypersonic test. The course will introduce the concept of hypersonic flight and describe the critical physics that is encountered at this unique and formidable speed regime. It will briefly discuss the system benefits and uses for this flight regime and put in perspective, why system performance and evaluation through test for this important speed regime can create difficulties for the tester, test facility developer and project manager. Principals of test design for this unique flight regime will be discussed as well as descriptions and examples of the typical test capability types along with examples of each in the current ground test infrastructure.
- Be able to describe the fundamentals of hypersonic flight.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the various benefits of speed.
- Understand the history of hypersonic test.
- Differentiate between the disciplines and test capabilities used to evaluate high speed systems.
- Gain a better understanding of the salient physics challenges for providing a relevant environment.
- Know the Benefits and Shortfalls of test and test techniques to choose evaluation method wisely.
- Recognize and plan for evaluation of important concepts through test
- [Detailed outline below]
Type of Course: Instructor-Led Short Course
Course Length: 1 day
AIAA CEU's available: Yes
- Hypersonic 101
- History of Hypersonic Systems
- Hypersonic Activity World-Wide
- Hypersonic Systems and Benefits
- Past Hypersonic Programs and their Contributions
- Challenges of Hypersonic Flight
- Reproducing the Hypersonic Environment
- Hypersonic Test and Evaluation
- T&E Compared to S&T
- Linking Analysis to Test
- Flight Experimentation Compared to Ground Test
- Types of Hypersonic Test
- Listing of Hypersonic Facilities and specifications
- Examples of Evaluation Techniques
- Measurements and Diagnostics
- Benefits of Ground Test facilities
- Challenges or Shortfalls to Ground Test Facilities
- Putting It Into Practice: Real Life Examples
- Lessons Learned from 50+ Years of Hypersonics
- US Hypersonic Emphasis
- Test Enterprise – S&T to T&E for the Future
- Summary and Look to the Future
AIAA Training Links
Upcoming Public Courses and Workshops
For information, group discounts,
and private course pricing, contact:
Lisa Le, Education Specialist (email@example.com)