AIAA Offers New Membership Option to High School Students Written 3 March 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Free Membership Begins at the Earliest Stage of the Academic Journey
March 3, 2021 – Reston, Va. – The American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) – the world’s largest aerospace technical society – is excited to announce a new level of membership for high school students. Designed exclusively for students in 6th through 12th grades, the free AIAA High School Membership provides activities, competitions, and scholarships that will promote STEM and STEAM educational programs. Students can become members today at aiaa.org/hs.
“We are thrilled to welcome students into AIAA at the earliest stages of their academic journey – during high school. We are committed to helping guide these students along their paths to a rewarding aerospace career,” said Dan Dumbacher, AIAA Executive Director. “These budding aerospace scientists and engineers can gain experience, mentorship, and access to resources to help them succeed. AIAA will serve as their vital lifelong link to reliable resources and growth opportunities.
AIAA’s goal is to promote equality of knowledge and opportunity from the start for all students. We see this membership opportunity as part of our outreach to help build a future aerospace workforce that represents the diversity of perspective and thought needed in the industry. The aerospace industry must embrace diversity of all forms in order to meet the challenges of the future.”
The new AIAA High School Membership complements the free AIAA Educator Associate Membership offered to K-12 teachers, which helps enhance and solidify the impact of teachers on the future of aerospace.
The AIAA High School Membership includes access to:
- AIAA Mentor Match. This unique program helps students find, connect, and gain insights on how to succeed in aerospace by matching them with professional members.
- STEM-focused webinars and on-demand content. This content is inspired by students, for students.
- AIAA Engage. This exclusive community platform connects students with peers and provides access to the High School Student Library.
- Design competitions. Students can compete in annual design challenges that span the aerospace technical fields.
- Online subscription to Aerospace America. Get in-depth insight on the subject matter that is shaping the aerospace industry with this monthly digital publication.
AIAA Media Contact: Rebecca B. Gray, RebeccaG@AIAA.org, 804-397-5270.
The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) is the world’s largest aerospace technical society. With nearly 30,000 individual members from 91 countries, and 100 corporate members, AIAA brings together industry, academia, and government to advance engineering and science in aviation, space, and defense. For more information, visit www.aiaa.org, or follow AIAA on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.